Monday 27 April 2015

Going Nude: Nude Lipsticks for Skin with yellow undertones

Kendall Jenner for Calvin Klein Denim Series, 2015
A catwalk makeup staple, that doesn't seem to be going anywhere is the nude lips. Nude lips seem to always be on trend. No matter the season, nude lips seem to be having an ongoing major moment. We've recently seen Calvin Klein transform Kendall Jenner into a 90s babe, sporting the denim dungarees with bold brows, clean cut makeup and you guessed it.. matted nude lips. But for something that may seem so simple, it's not that easy to find the right shade that doesn't wash you out, but brings life to your face whilst being a 'nude' lip.

 "Too dark, and you look like you're trying to make brown lipstick happen (and not in a cool '90s way). Too light, and you start to resemble the living dead." Byrdie, Faith Xue

I remember when I was first exposed to the trend in school, and at first attempt I got it all oh-so-wrong. Although cosmetic companies have expanded their colour ranges, and there's now something available for everyone; at the naive age of 14, it wasn't so easy for me to achieve this look as most drugstore products at the time seemed to cater to paler complexions, which essentially made it look like a white chalk-like colour across my mouth. Today, extensive brands such as Mac and Bobbi Brown provide excellent options for almost every skin tone so I am going to share with you some of my favourite colours for this lip trend. For reference, I am an NC30 (Mac) with a pale-yellow undertone. Like most people, my face tends to be paler than the rest of my body so I rely heavily on bronzer to even out my complexion.

Order: Topshop Desert, Dior 178, YSL 2, OCC Interlace
1) Topshop, Desert: If you're looking for a nude with a bit more colour, this is your answer. Topshop's Desert is a perfect peach pout that still falls under the 'nude lip' umbrella. Not only would the orange undertones of this colour work well against olive skin tones, but it will do wonders for tanned skin by giving the impression of 'I just got back from holiday' sun-kissed look. What I love about Topshop's lipsticks is their lasting power (4 hours+) and finishing texture. If you're after a more glossier finish you probably wouldn't appreciate the cream to powder texture of this product - but I love it! 
 
2) Urban 178, Dior Addict: This tinted lip colour is very versatile and fool proof - so you can afford to take a risk with this one! Once applied you get a sheer pinkey - nude tint without appearing overly glossy. The caramel toned beige shade will play up the warmth in your skin, whilst the slight shimmer running through it will accentuate your tan skin (real of faux).

3) YSL Rouge Volupte, 2: I've mentioned this lipstick before, but it never seems to escape my list of favourites. This velvety-cream nude works perfectly against olive undertones, making it appear a 'natural' nude on my lips - without looking ghostly or too pale. It has peachy undertones which work well against skin tones with yellow undertone

4) OCC Lip Tar, Interlace: Although this looks scarey in the tube, this is an excellent product once you get the hang of how to use it. Admittedly, I had one too many mishaps when I first got my hands on OCC products as they are highly pigmented, paint like but also extremely liquid based. I've tried to make this product work with the brush that comes with it, but it just applies streaky and unevenly every time I do so; so here's how I do it - I place a small blob of product on my index finger, then I dab it onto my lips, patting it to create an even finish on my lips. This basically creates the 'your lips but better' illusion by adding a hint of pink and flush of your colour to your complexion.
Tip: OCC Lip Tar's are great for mixing up and creating your own shades, if one colour appears to light and another too dark, give them both a whirl and create your own happy medium. You can also use Lip Tar's in conjunction with another lipstick or liner that you have at home to create a unique and desirable finish.


Which is your favourite?

Saina
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment